Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Shakespeare and Music

As I read A Midsummer Night's Dream, I can't help but be caught up by the characters.  Sexson claims Bottom is one of the best characters; however, I am personally a fan of Puck.  This impish, mischievous fairy is just too much fun.  He is sly, cunning, and all to eager to make things messy.  In fact, he sort of reminds me from Peeves from Harry Potter (another favorite minor character of mine).  While we have not reached the portion of the play where Puck appears, I cannot help but reminisce about my love for this character the last time I read this work.

And yet, the name "Puck" rings another bell for me.  You all know by now that I play flute (Euterpe, got it).  However, flute is not my only instrument.  I also play piano.  Once upon a time, several years ago, I played a piano piece entitled "Puck" written by Edvard Grieg.  The music captures this character perfectly.  I have included a clip of the piece below for those who would like to listen.  I do not know if Grieg originally wrote the piece with Shakespeare's character specifically in mind.  Nonetheless, the song paints the perfect picture of this character.  The tune alternates between a minor, lower register which captures Puck's darker, mischievous side, and a lighter, bouncy melody which reflects his cheerful, playful nature.  The whole piece requires a light, quick touch which imitates the flighty nature of fairies.  Also, the piece is devilishly tricky to learn to play!  I loved performing this piece.

This memory has also sparked an idea for a possible project.  As a musician, I strongly believe in the power of music to tell a good story, or depict a character.  I am toying with the idea of exploring Shakespeare through music.  Songs have been written about characters, his plays, and for music soundtracks to movie productions.  I am interested in examining this music to see how song captures the nature of Shakespeare's work.  Is the music as elegant and effective as his prose?  How does the music portray his stories differently?  Do I become more attached to a character through writing or music?  I know, personally, that music often moves me even more than writing or imagery.  A master of writing deserves a master depiction through music.  It is time to see if the musicians of the world have done Shakespeare justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment