Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Shakespearean Fairy Tale

In his introduction, Hughes reminds his readers that Shakespeare's plays were meant to be entertainment.  I think this quality is often lost among students forced to slog their way through a strange language and complex plots in an effort to earn an A.  As a future educator, I am painfully aware that most high school students do not appreciate the beauty and entertainment of Shakespeare's work.  I do not have a plan to combat such boredom as of yet.  However, I believe everyone should have the opportunity to experience the entertaining value of Shakespeare's words.  I have discovered a video that may make such an experience easily accessible to all.  Today I share with you comedian John Branyan's version of the classic fairy tale "The Three Little Pigs" told through Shakespearean language.  Personally, this video always makes me laugh.  I believe it also helps illustrate the way the English language has changed over the long years, and not necessarily for the better.

Here I present to you, for your entertainment, John Branyan's "The Three Little Pigs"


No comments:

Post a Comment