Sunday, March 24, 2013

Define a Fool

As I think about my project (The role of "the fool" in Shakespeare) I must start with one essential question: what exactly, IS a fool?  In my mind, "fool" can have a few meanings: a jester in a court (such as the one in King Lear), a person lacking common sense, and one who behaves foolishly or without thought or consideration.  However, I figured for a project as grand as this, I should probably do some research into the ofiicial definition.  Being a knowledgable English major, I am quite aware we have a handy little tool at our fingertips for looking up definitions of words: the Dictionary.  So I opened a new tab to Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary and these were the definitions I found for "fool."

1: a person lacking in judgment or prudence
2
a: a retainer formerly kept in great households to provide casual entertainment and commonly dressed in motley with cap, bells, and bauble
b: one who is victimized or made to appear foolish : dupe
3
a: a harmlessly deranged person or one lacking in common powers of understanding
b: one with a marked propensity or fondness for something <a dancing fool> <a fool for candy>
4
: a cold dessert of pureed fruit mixed with whipped cream or custard
 
So most of my definitions were proved correct, and a couple new ones came to mind.  But which version of the fool does Shakespeare use?  I think, for this project, I can safely throw out definition #4.  Perhaps this desert does appear somewhere in his vast works, but I am unconcerned with its relevance to his work and characters as a whole.  However, I believe Shakespeare employs all other definitions when creating the fools for his plays.  Additionally, one definition may stand exclusive of the others.  For example, the fool in King Lear fits definition 2a: a court jester.  He fulfills his role of entertaining the king through absurd acts and witty banter.  However, he does not fulfill definition 1, or 3a.  Lear's fool does not appear foolish in personal thought or action at all.  In fact, he seems quite prudent and intelligent.  This so-called fool realizes Lear's mistake in banishing Cordelia.  He mourns her loss and indeed lables Lear a fool for dismissing her (here Lear takes on the role of definition 1-and later takes on definition 3a).  Lear's fool is also prudent in his actions.  He realizes that condemning Lear's actions outright will likely get him in trouble and result in his whipping.  As a result, he hedges his actions, using witty words to convey his true feelings about Cordelia's banishment and Lear's other foolish actions. 
 
King Lear contains several other role reversals and definitions of "the fool" throughout the play.  Therefore, we can conclude from this work alone that Shakespeare employs multiple meanings of the words and manifests these in his characters.  For this project, I think I will explore how he uses fools fitting each definition throughout these four works, and the effect this has on his works as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment