Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Attempt One

So I've tried my hand at writing a sonnet.  I'm a little torn on my feelings towards this creation.  I did fairly well with the format surprisingly enough.  However, I feel as though it is not as eloquent or profound as I would like.  Despite lacking these qualities, this sonnet tells a true personal story and so I find myself personally attached enough to post it as a solid first attempt.  I will try for elegance in a later attempt.  For now, here is my sonnet of both love and love lost.

Sonnet 1: The Cycle of Two

Long ago, as kids, did we first meet.
A gift you gave to me, a dog to love. 
Awhile you left, away, young love so fleet;
came back to me as if sent from above.
Two teens, so young, we let our passion grow.
Two years, so fast and full, then left my side.
My heart did break, and yet, I could not know;
from time our love could only briefly hide.
A year gone by, then once again we fell.
Again two years, so full of love and life.
Then gone again, you put my heart through hell.
We grew so close; yet distance caused us strife.
And now my closest friend you stay to be.
Around we go--will you come back to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment