Thursday, February 28, 2013

Hamletian Experiences

Dr. Sexson has charged us with playing the part of Hamlet in our own lives.  However, I am hesitant to do so for what I consider to be a valid reason: I am already living with a Hamlet.

My roommate unfortunately tends to be the epitome of negativity.  Don't get me wrong, I love her and she can be a bubbly bundle of fun. This is not frequently the case though.  She carries a very negative attitude toward most things in life.  Those who disagree with her, or point out any mistakes or flaws are attacking her.  If things go wrong, her attitude is ruined.  For example, any evening activities that fall through, or otherwise  fail to work out, my roommate will immediately become pissy and shut herself in her room.  This reflects Hamlet's negativity in many ways.  When upset, he withdraws, and all around him can sense his foul mood.  My other roommate and I try to ignore this dark cloud in our apartment, but doing so is not always easy.  Like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, we try to cheer up our buddy (though not at the orders of a foul king). Also like this duo, we nearly always fail in our mission.  My real life Hamlet friend is perfectly aware of her negative outlook on life.  However, rather than trying to improve things, she takes an "If you don't like it, then it's YOUR problem" attitude.  Yippee for the rest of us...

Due to this current situation, I find myself unwilling to add to the dramatic attitude already permeating our apartment.  One cranky, sensitive roommate is enough at one time.  As a result, I will hold off on the negative Hamletian attitude for the time being.  However, my roommate does not possess all of Hamlet's glorious wit, and so I will try to pun things up around here...stay tuned for results.  Who knows? Maybe my wit will even cheer my roommate up a bit!



No comments:

Post a Comment