Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Shady Dreams

Firstly, I want to clarify my title for this post. The dreams I will be illustrating are not "shady" in the sense that it is dark or creepy.  Rather, this title reflects the flighty nature of my dreams, like sunlight flickering among shade in the grass, impossible to pin down.  Like many of my classmates, I rarely remember my dreams clearly.  If I wake up right after the dream, I may remember for a few hours, but by the time the sun is up the dream is a faint memory much like the lovers experience in MSND.  Mostly, however, I remember short snippets here and there.  I'll highlight a few recent interesting ones for you now.

--I have a very vague remembrance of an odd dream where all I can still picture is flying deer (picture Bambi with velvety wings) flying above my head.  No clue where that came from or what was going on...your guess is honestly as good as mine.  I'll chalk that one up to Puck messing with my subconscious.

--I woke up from a dream remembering only that I had just gotten married to my ex-boyfriend.  That opened a whole can of mental worms.

--The most elaborate dream I currently remember involved me living in the apartment next to my band director.  I didn't realize this until we were having a party and I looked at the balcony next to ours.  Low and behold-there he was with his wife and daughter.  Somehow they ended up coming over and joining us.

You can tell from these brief statements that my dreams don't stick well with me.  This is a common situation among humans and Shakespeare was brilliant to pick up on this fact and use it in his play.  Shakespeare is known for writing stories his viewers and readers can relate to, and this is just another example.  Every reader can understand the confusion of the lovers as a haze surrounds their memories of the passing nights.  I know many more half remembered images wait for me in early mornings.  I'll probably spend my life wondering what my mind is up to while I sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment